News Alert: GOHSEP DAILY OPERATIONAL REPORT 25 October 2011
Posted: 10/25/2011 3:21:28 PM
Louisiana Business Emergency Operations Center
 

GOHSEP DAILY OPERATIONAL REPORT
25 October 2011
As of:  1500 Hours
STATE EOC ACTIVATION LEVEL: Level 4 (Normal operations)


1. TROPICAL WEATHER UPDATE:

As of 1300 hours 25 October 2011, the NWS/NHC is reporting on the tropical features listed below.  None of these systems pose a threat to Louisiana.

 

Hurricane Rina continues to strengthen and expected to become a major Hurricane

The center of Hurricane Rina is located near Latitude 17.4N, Longitude 83.9W.  Rina is moving toward the west northwest near 3MPH. A gradual turn toward the northwest with some increase in forward speed is expected over the next 48 hours.  Maximum sustained winds are near 105MPH with higher gusts.  Rina is a now a Category Two Hurricane on the Saffir Simpson Scale and additional strengthening is expected during the next 48 hours.  Rina is expected to become a major hurricane by tonight. Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 15 miles from the center and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 115 miles.  Estimated minimum central pressure is 971mb, 28.67 inches.  Rina will not affect Louisiana. 

 

A surface trough over the south-central Caribbean Sea continues to produce disorganized shower and thunderstorm activity.  This system has become less organized over the past few hours, and any development is expected to be slow to occur as it moves west-northwestward at 15 to 20 mph over the next couple of days.  This system has a less than 20 percent chance of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours. 


 

More information can be accessed from The National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

2. STATE WIDE EVENTS:

 STATEWIDE PARISH BURN BANS / DROUGHT 2011:

WebEOC Incident 010-11 Statewide Parish Burn Ban

 

Cease and Desist on Outdoor Burning:

Due to the extremely dry conditions in certain Parishes within the state, State Fire Marshal, H. Butch Browning and, Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner, Mike Strain have issued a cease and desist order for all private burning, pursuant to authority under R.S. 40:1563.  Private burning shall only be allowed by permission of the local fire department or local government.

 

This order was effective as of 0900 Hours, August 24, 2011, and shall remain in effect until rescinded for the following Louisiana parishes: Allen, Acadia, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Calcasieu, Caldwell, Cameron, Catahoula, Claiborne, Desoto, Evangeline, Grant, Jackson, Jefferson Davis, LaSalle, Lincoln, Natchitoches, Pointe Coupee, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Sabine, St. Landry, Union, Vermillion, Vernon, Webster and Winn

                                                    

The following parishes have a current Parish State of Emergency Declaration on file with GOHSEP:

Natchitoches

Bossier

Caddo

Sabine

National Weather Service Drought Assessment Graphic:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/drought_assessment.shtml

 

Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry Burn Ban Graphic:

http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/portal/Portals/0/FOR/publications/forest%20fire/laburnban.pdf

 

Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner Mike Stain, D.V.M., said the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry has installed a new emergency hotline phone system to better serve the public.  “We are here to protect the consumer,” Strain said. “Remember; call the LDAF for any emergency involving agriculture, pesticides, and wildfire detection and suppression. The number is 1-855-452-5323.” This hotline will be manned 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

 

3. LOUISIANA WEATHER:

SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA: Today through Wednesday will be mostly sunny with patchy fog before 9AM and partly cloudy nights. Thursday will be cloudy with a 30-40 percent chance of thunderstorms and Friday through Sunday will be mostly sunny and clear.

Temperatures: Today: 83/64, Wednesday: 83/61, Thursday: 84/52, Friday: 70/42, Saturday: 70/42

HAZARDOUS WEATHER:  No hazardous weather to report

 

SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA: Today through Wednesday will be mostly sunny and clear each day.   Thursday will be mostly sunny with a 20 percent slight chance of isolated showers overnight moving into Friday.  Saturday will be partly sunny and breezy. 

Temperatures: Today: 78/63, Wednesday: 78/65, Thursday: 80/60, Friday: 67/52, Saturday: 68/55

HAZARDOUS WEATHER:   No hazardous weather to report

  

CENTRAL LOUISIANA:  Today through Wednesday will be mostly sunny with patchy fog before 9AM and partly cloudy nights.  Thursday will be mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms while Friday through Sunday will be mostly sunny and clear.

Temperatures: Today: 84/55, Wednesday: 84/59, Thursday: 80/49, Friday: 68/39, Saturday: 70/40

HAZARDOUS WEATHER:  No hazardous weather to report

 

NORTHERN LOUISIANA:   Today through Wednesday will be mostly sunny each day with partly cloudy nights. Wednesday night will be mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms.  Thursday will be mostly cloudy with a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms and a 40 percent chance of rain overnight. Friday through Sunday will be mostly sunny and clear. 

Temperatures:  Today: 86/63, Wednesday: 83/60, Thursday: 63/48, Friday: 65/42, Saturday: 72/43

HAZARDOUS WEATHER:  No hazardous weather to report

 

 

4. HAZMAT: None

5. FIRE: None

6. MEDICAL: None

7. NTAS (National Terrorist Advisory System): Currently there are no active alerts.

For more information go to following link; http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/ntas.shtm.

8. CHEMICAL, BIOLOGICAL, RADIOLOGICAL, NUCLEAR, EXPLOSIVE: None

 

 

 

 

The LA BEOC Portal is designed and developed by the NIMSAT Institute under the Cooperative Endeavor Agreement with the Louisiana Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP)

GOHSEP LED NIMSAT

© Copyright 2010-2019, NIMSAT. All rights reserved. Terms of Service. Portal Guidelines.