News Alert: GOHSEP DAILY OPERATIONAL REPORT 21 November 2011
Posted: 11/22/2011 8:11:01 AM
Louisiana Business Emergency Operations Center
 

GOHSEP DAILY OPERATIONAL REPORT
21 November 2011
As of:  1530 Hours
STATE EOC ACTIVATION LEVEL: Level 4 (Normal operations)

 

1. TROPICAL WEATHER UPDATE:

 

 As of 1230 hours 21 November 2011, NWS/NHC is reporting on the following tropical feature in the Atlantic-Caribbean-Gulf of Mexico basin. THIS SYSTEM IS WILL NOT POSE A THREAT TO LOUISIANA.                                                                                                                                                                        

 

A broad area of low pressure is located about 875 miles northeast of the northeastern Leeward Islands has become more concentrated. Satellite data indicates that winds are near gale force though the circulation is not well defined at this time. Environmental conditions are marginally conducive for additional development and this system has a 60% chance for acquiring subtropical  characteristics before it moves over cooler waters in a couple of days as it moves north-northeastward then northeastward at 10-15 mph. 

 

More information can be accessed from The National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

2. STATE WIDE EVENTS:   

STATEWIDE PARISH BURN BANS / DROUGHT 2011:

WebEOC Incident 010-11 Statewide Parish Burn Ban

 

State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning and Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner Mike Strain lifted the statewide burn ban as of 11 November 2011.

 

While the State burn ban has been lifted, the following parishes currently have declarations of a state of emergency due to the extreme drought situation.

 

Jefferson Davis (expires 14 December 2011)

 

National Weather Service Drought Assessment Graphic:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/drought_assessment.shtml

 

 

3. LOUISIANA WEATHER:

SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA: Today will be partly sunny with a 20 percent chance for isolated showers projected for tonight. Tuesday has a 70 percent chance for daytime thunderstorms decreasing to a 40 percent for showers at night. Wednesday and Thursday will be sunny during the day and mostly clear to partly cloudy at night. Friday has a 20 percent chance for daytime thunderstorms increasing to 30 percent at night.

Temperatures: Today: 83/68, Tuesday: 82/51, Wednesday: 71/47, Thanksgiving Day: 72/50, Friday: 74/59.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER:  Shower and thunderstorm chances will increase greatly for Tuesday across all of the area as a cold front crosses the region. Severe weather may be possible with wind damage likely the primary threat. Behind the front, dry and more seasonable weather is expected Wednesday through Friday. Another front will speed across the area on Saturday accompanied by another round of showers and thunderstorms.

 

SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA: Today will be mostly sunny with a 10 percent chance for showers projected for tonight. Tuesday has a 70 percent chance for thunderstorms throughout the day and night. Wednesday and Thursday will be sunny during the day and clear to mostly clear at night. Friday will be mostly sunny during the day with a slight chance for thunderstorms at night.

Temperatures: Today: 81/65, Tuesday: 82/62, Wednesday: 73/48, Thanksgiving Day: 71/52, Friday: 77/59.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER: Patchy fog may develop overnight tonight.

 

There is a slight risk of severe thunderstorms Tuesday into Tuesday night. The highest threat from any severe thunderstorm activity will be strong damaging wind gusts. However, an isolated tornado cannot be ruled out, especially over southwest Mississippi and the Florida parishes of Louisiana. Thunderstorms will also be possible on Saturday. This thunderstorm threat will continue to be evaluated over the next several days for any potential severe weather risk.

 

CENTRAL LOUISIANA:   Today will be partly sunny with a 20 percent chance for isolated showers tonight. Tuesday has a 70 percent chance for daytime thunderstorms decreasing to a 30 percent chance for showers at night. Wednesday and Thursday will be sunny during the day and mostly clear to partly cloudy at night. Friday has a 20 percent chance for daytime thunderstorms increasing to 30 percent at night.

Temperatures: Today: 83/66, Tuesday: 81/49, Wednesday: 70/45, Thanksgiving Day: 71/47, Friday: 73/58.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER:  Shower and thunderstorm chances will increase greatly for Tuesday across all of the area as a cold front crosses the region. Severe weather may be possible with wind damage likely the primary threat. Behind the front, dry and more seasonable weather is expected Wednesday through Friday. Another front will speed across the area on Saturday accompanied by another round of showers and thunderstorms.

 

NORTHERN LOUISIANA:   Today has a 20 percent chance for isolated daytime thunderstorms increasing to 40 percent tonight. Tuesday has an 80 percent chance for daytime thunderstorms decreasing to a 20 percent chance for isolated showers at night. Wednesday and Thursday will be sunny during the day and mostly clear to partly cloudy at night. Friday has a 30 percent chance for daytime thunderstorms increasing to 50 percent at night.

Temperatures:  Today: 79/67, Tuesday: 79/49, Wednesday: 68/44, Thanksgiving Day: 69/44, Friday: 69/51.

 HAZARDOUS WEATHER: A stalled out cold front will back slightly westward today. Thunderstorm chances will remain on the low side. However, a few strong storms do remain a possibility this afternoon and evening.

 

As this cold front moves toward the region Tuesday morning, heavy rainfall, damaging winds, large hail and a few tornadoes are all possible with the passage of these storms. The greatest threat will likely occur during the late morning to early afternoon hours on Tuesday. As the cold front moves across the region thunderstorm chances will quickly begin to diminish by afternoon.

Thunderstorms may return to the area again Friday afternoon and night.

 

4. HAZMAT: None

5. FIRE: None

6. MEDICAL: None

7. NTAS (National Terrorist Advisory System): Currently there are no active alerts.

For more information, go to following link; http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/ntas.shtm.

8. CHEMICAL, BIOLOGICAL, RADIOLOGICAL, NUCLEAR, EXPLOSIVE: None

 

 

 

 

The LA BEOC Portal is designed and developed by the NIMSAT Institute under the Cooperative Endeavor Agreement with the Louisiana Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP)

GOHSEP LED NIMSAT

© Copyright 2010-2019, NIMSAT. All rights reserved. Terms of Service. Portal Guidelines.