News Alert: GOHSEP DAILY OPERATIONAL REPORT 5 December 2011
Posted: 12/5/2011 2:58:14 PM
Louisiana Business Emergency Operations Center
GOHSEP DAILY OPERATIONAL REPORT
5 December 2011
As of:  1430 Hours
STATE EOC ACTIVATION LEVEL: Level 4 (Normal operations)
1. STATE WIDE EVENTS: 
STATEWIDE PARISH BURN BANS / DROUGHT 2011:
WebEOC Incident 010-11 Statewide Parish Burn Ban
 
State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning and Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner Mike Strain lifted the statewide burn ban as of 11 November 2011.
Jefferson Davis Parish (expires 14 December 2011) has a parish wide declaration of a state of emergency due to the extreme drought situation.
National Weather Service Drought Assessment Graphic:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/drought_assessment.shtml
2. LOUISIANA WEATHER:
SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA:  Today will have showers with the possibility of thunderstorms increasing to 40 percent at night.  Tuesday has a 30 to 40 percent chance of showers throughout the day. Wednesday has a 20 percent chance of showers during the day improving to mostly clear at night.  Thursday and Friday will be mostly sunny during the day and partly cloudy at night. 
Temperatures:  Today: 64/45, Tuesday: 52/39, Wednesday: 53/32, Thursday: 54/33, Friday: 60/32
HAZARDOUS WEATHER:  Numerous to widespread showers and isolated thunderstorms will increase from west to east across the area today as a cold front moves slowly east. No severe weather is expected although a few showers could produce locally heavy rainfall at times. Area rainfall totals of 1/2 to 1 inch will be possible with isolated amounts of 2 to 3 inches mainly north of a Silsbee to Opelousas line, with amounts of 1/2 inch or less south of this line.
A chance for light rain will continue through Tuesday, gradually ending over eastern portions of the area Wednesday morning. Dry weather and below normal temperatures are expected through the end of the week. A light freeze will be possible for locations north of I-10 Thursday and Friday mornings.
SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA:  Today will have an 80 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms during the day decreasing to 50 percent at night.  Tuesday has a 50 to 60 percent chance of showers throughout the day.  Wednesday has a 50 percent chance of rain during the day decreasing to a 20 percent chance at night.  Thursday and Friday will be mostly sunny during the day and mostly cloudy at night.
Temperatures:  Today: 74/56, Tuesday: 56/44, Wednesday: 52/37, Thursday: 55/33, Friday: 58/36
HAZARDOUS WEATHER: A small craft advisory is in effect today and into Wednesday for the Gulf coastal waters outside the sounds with southeast winds of 15 to 20 mph and seas to 7 feet.
Isolated thunderstorms are possible along an approaching cold front. Severe thunderstorms are not expected however.
CENTRAL LOUISIANA: Today has a 100 percent chance of showers during the day decreasing to 60 percent at night.  Tuesday has a 30 percent chance of showers throughout the day.  Wednesday has a 20 percent chance of showers during the day improving to mostly clear at night.  Thursday and Friday will be mostly sunny during the day and mostly clear at night.
Temperatures:  Today: 59/42, Tuesday: 50/39, Wednesday: 51/30, Thursday: 53/29, Friday: 56/30
HAZARDOUS WEATHER:  Numerous to widespread showers and isolated thunderstorms will increase from west to east across the area today as a cold front moves slowly east. No severe weather is expected although a few showers could produce locally heavy rainfall at times. Area rainfall totals of 1/2 to 1 inch will be possible with isolated amounts of 2 to 3 inches mainly north of a Silsbee to Opelousas line, with amounts of 1/2 inch or less south of this line.
A chance for light rain will continue through Tuesday, gradually ending over eastern portions of the area Wednesday morning. Dry weather and below normal temperatures are expected through the end of the week. A light freeze will be possible for locations north of I-10 Thursday and Friday mornings.
NORTHERN LOUISIANA: Today has a 100 percent chance of showers and possibly thunderstorms during the day decreasing to 30 percent at night.  Tuesday has a 20 percent chance of rain during the day improving to mostly cloudy at night.  Wednesday will be mostly cloudy throughout the day.  Thursday and Friday will be sunny during the day and mostly clear at night.
Temperatures:  Today: 48/38, Tuesday: 45/36, Wednesday: 47/27, Thursday: 51/28, Friday: 54/29
HAZARDOUS WEATHER: Rain and embedded thunderstorms, some of which will produce locally heavy rainfall along with isolated hail and lightning strikes, will continue to develop and spread northeast across the region. These thunderstorms could result in rainfall amounts of one to two inches and isolated higher amounts. The rains will not be as heavy overnight, but the ever increasing soil moisture can reach saturation, resulting in flooding and flash flooding of low lying and poor drainage areas.
There will be periods of rain with embedded thunderstorms, some of which may contain locally heavy rainfall that will be decreasing over most of the region with the exception of parts of lower northwest and north central Louisiana, on Tuesday.  After the rains end, cold air will continue to spread over the area with freezing temperatures returning during the overnight and early morning hours mid to late week, with below normal daytime temperatures expected to persist throughout much of this week and weekend.
3. HAZMAT: None
4. FIRE: None
5. MEDICAL: None
6. NTAS (National Terrorist Advisory System): Currently there are no active alerts.
For more information, go to following link; http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/ntas.shtm.
7. CHEMICAL, BIOLOGICAL, RADIOLOGICAL, NUCLEAR, EXPLOSIVE: None

The LA BEOC Portal is designed and developed by the NIMSAT Institute under the Cooperative Endeavor Agreement with the Louisiana Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP)

GOHSEP LED NIMSAT

© Copyright 2010-2019, NIMSAT. All rights reserved. Terms of Service. Portal Guidelines.