News Alert: GOHSEP DAILY OPERATIONAL REPORT 20 December 2011
Posted: 12/21/2011 12:04:14 PM
Louisiana Business Emergency Operations Center

GOHSEP DAILY OPERATIONAL REPORT
20 December 2011
As of:  1030 Hours
STATE EOC ACTIVATION LEVEL: Level 4 (Normal operations)

 

1. STATE WIDE EVENTS:   

Due to heavy rains to the north of Louisiana in the Ohio River Valley, some locations in Louisiana along the Mississippi River are experiencing a rise in river stage. While current forecasts do not show a rise into flood stage, any continued rainfall to our north, combined with any winter snowfall and the resulting melting and runoff, could cause a potential for flooding in Louisiana by this spring.

Locations that are currently projected to reach flood stage or are in flood stage are listed below under paragraph 2, LOUISIANA WEATHER.

 

GOHSEP Operations, in coordination with National Weather Service, will continue to monitor this situation and report as needed.

 

2. LOUISIANA WEATHER:

SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA:  Today through Thursday will be mostly cloudy with a 20 to 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms throughout the day.  Friday will be mostly sunny during the day and mostly cloudy at night.  Saturday will be mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain throughout the day. 

 

Atchafalaya River at Morgan City:

Current Stage: 4.0 feet (Minor Flood Stage)

Minor Flood Stage is from 4 -7 feet

The river is projected to crest at about 4.9 feet by 21 December then begin falling

POTENTIAL IMPACT: At 4-5 feet, water may move up the bank and across access roads below the city dock. Floodwall gates should be closed by the 5 foot stage to protect against higher stages. Vessel traffic will be affected by stronger river current and vessel safety rules will be strictly enforced by the U.S. Coast Guard.

 

Temperatures: Today: 73/48, Wednesday: 62/52, Thursday: 65/47, Friday: 63/42, Saturday: 59/37

HAZARDOUS WEATHER:  A line of showers and thunderstorms will move across the area today in association with a cold front. A few of these storms could be strong with gusty straight line winds. An isolated tornado cannot be ruled out. The greatest threat will be across northern and western portions of the area. Thursday, showers and isolated thunderstorms will develop during the day but should come to an end by the evening.  Saturday, a cold front is expected to push through the area.

 

SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA:  Today through Wednesday will be mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms throughout the day.  Thursday and Friday will be mostly cloudy with a 70 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms throughout the day each day.  Saturday will be mostly cloudy with a chance of showers.

Temperatures: Today: 76/59, Wednesday: 72/59, Thursday: 75/54, Friday: 65/46, Saturday: 61/41

HAZARDOUS WEATHER: Isolated thunderstorms will be possible mainly during the afternoon hours. One or two of the thunderstorms could be strong, producing wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph. A cold front will stall across the area early Wednesday morning. Scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms can be expected each day through Friday as weak impulses move northeastward along the stalled boundary. There is a slight risk of severe weather on Thursday as the strongest of the impulses moves through the area. The main threat will be strong and damaging straight line winds. However, an isolated tornado or two will be possible. A strong cold front is forecast to move through the area late Friday, ending the threat of thunderstorms.

 

CENTRAL LOUISIANA:  Today and Wednesday will be mostly cloudy with a 60 to 70 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms throughout the day.  Thursday will be mostly cloudy with a 60 percent decreasing to 20 percent chance of showers throughout the day.  Friday will be mostly sunny during the day and mostly cloudy at night.  Saturday will be mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers throughout the day.

Temperatures: Today: 72/45, Wednesday: 60/50, Thursday: 62/45, Friday: 61/40, Saturday: 57/38

HAZARDOUS WEATHER: A line of showers and thunderstorms will move across the area today in association with a cold front. A few of these storms could be strong with gusty straight line winds. An isolated tornado cannot be ruled out. The greatest threat will be across northern and western portions of the area. Thursday, showers and isolated thunderstorms will develop during the day but should come to an end by the evening. Saturday, a cold front is expected to push through.

 

NORTHERN LOUISIANA: Today will be partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms during the day and partly cloudy at night.  Wednesday will be mostly sunny during the day and mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms at night.  Thursday will be mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms throughout the day.  Friday and Saturday will be partly sunny during the day and mostly cloudy at night.

Temperatures: Today: 71/40, Wednesday: 58/47, Thursday: 57/41, Friday: 57/37, Saturday: 56/33

HAZARDOUS WEATHER: An upper disturbance will move in Wednesday night, into early Thursday. Although instability will be mainly elevated, heavy rainfall is possible, and the strongest storms could produce hail.

 

3. HAZMAT: None

 

4. FIRE: None

5. MEDICAL: None

6. NTAS (National Terrorist Advisory System): Currently there are no active alerts.

For more information, go to following link; http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/ntas.shtm.

7. CHEMICAL, BIOLOGICAL, RADIOLOGICAL, NUCLEAR, EXPLOSIVE: None

 

 

 

 

 

The LA BEOC Portal is designed and developed by the NIMSAT Institute under the Cooperative Endeavor Agreement with the Louisiana Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP)

GOHSEP LED NIMSAT

© Copyright 2010-2019, NIMSAT. All rights reserved. Terms of Service. Portal Guidelines.