Everyone has a role in cyber security awareness. Prevention of cyber-attacks is more efficient and
less stressful than remediating the issue after it happens. Staying cyber aware is the best defense
against cyber-attacks. Analysts have stated that human error accounts for 95% of all cybersecurity
breaches1 and that 77% of organizations do not have a cybersecurity plan2.
These top ten Cybersecurity tips are a great weapon to defend information and networks.
1. Install updates and patches for your software, operating system, or applications as soon
as they are available.
2. Use Strong Passwords or a password management tool. Passwords should be at least
16 characters, a combination of unrelated words, and have a mix of numbers and
3. Keep your firewall and antivirus protection on and updated, the security of your
network should adapt to changing threats.
4. Use Multi-factor authentication.
5. Audit accounts and user privileges. Internal controls may help keep outside access
limited if there is a breach.
6. Back up your data on a regular basis using full disk encryption.
7. Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) as often as possible.
8. Keep private information protected and check your privacy settings for any online
accounts including all social media.
9. Only install software and apps from trusted sources.
10. Do not open emails, text messages, or hyperlinks from unknown sources. Remain
vigilant in checking all emails sent to you, and train employees to do the same.
1 Why Human Error is #1 Cyber Security Threat to Businesses in 2021. (2021, February 4). The Hacker News.
https://thehackernews.com/2021/02/why-human-error-is-1-cyber-security.html 2 Majority of Organizations Lack a Cybersecurity Incident Response Plan. (n.d.). http://www.meritalk.com. Retrieved
(2021, September 2). https://www.meritalk.com/articles/majority-of-organizations-lack-a-cybersecurityincident-responseplan/#:%7E:text=Despite%20the%20near%20constant%20threat%20of%20a%20cyberattack%2Cc