FEMA Facts: I’m a renter, can I get assistance from FEMA?

DR-4611-LA/FS 006
LA Newsdesk: 225-389-2408

Renters in the 25 Louisiana Parishes* designated for Individual Assistance who had
damage, losses or are unable to live in their homes after Hurricane Ida, may be eligible for
help from FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

Question: I am a renter; can I apply for assistance with FEMA?
Answer: Yes, renters may apply for disaster assistance with FEMA. If you have renter’s insurance, you
should call your insurance provider to file a claim. If you are insured, you must provide information from
your insurance which may include a declaration page, settlement, or denial.

Question: As a renter, what types of help could I be eligible for?
Answer: Awards may be available to rent or pay for a different place to live for a limited time while repairs
are made to your rental home or until it is livable. Rental grants may be used for security deposits, rent
and the cost of essential utilities, such as gas and water. The grants may not be used to pay for separate
cable or internet bills.

Question: Can I use my rental assistance grant to stay in a hotel/motel?
Answer: The funds can be used to stay in another temporary place to live, which includes a hotel/motel.
The rental assistance grant is equivalent to the Fair Market Rent (FMR) for the area the primary home is
located in.

Question: I have been staying in a hotel and paying for it myself, can I get reimburse for the costs?
Answer: You may be eligible to be for reimbursement for out-of-pocket lodging expenses if you are not
covered by insurance benefits like additional living expenses or loss of use or receiving help with lodging
from another source such as a voluntary organization. Eligible expenses may include the cost of the room
and taxes charged by a hotel or other lodging provider.

Question: I’ve heard about a program called Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA), is this the same as
rental assistance?
Answer: TSA is a FEMA program that is approved for this disaster. It allows for temporary, short-term
lodging at a participating hotel/motel, that FEMA pays for directly. Survivors may not request TSA. Those
who are eligible will be contacted by FEMA about their eligibility.

Question: My personal property was damaged, is there financial help available for my losses?
Answer: Help is also available for eligible survivors, including renters, with uninsured and underinsured
necessary expenses and serious needs caused by Hurricane Ida.
Renters may also qualify for assistance for essential personal property and other disaster-related
expenses. These may include replacement or repair of necessary personal property, such as furniture,
appliances, clothing, textbooks or school supplies; replacement or repair of tools and other job-related
equipment; vehicle repair; and medical/dental bills.

Question: Does help from FEMA have to be paid back?
Answer: No. Grants are not loans, and don’t have to be repaid. They are not taxable income and won’t
affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
(SNAP) benefits.

Question: How do I apply for FEMA assistance?
Answer: Survivors in one of the Parishes designated for Individual Assistance can apply with FEMA for
assistance, online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov or by telephone at 1-800-621-3362, TTY 1-800-462-
7585, or use a relay service, such as a videophone, InnoCaption, or CapTel, give FEMA the number for that

*For DR-4611-LA, 25 parishes are designated for TSA : Ascension, Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East
Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St.
Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany,
Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Washington, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana

# # #

Leave a Reply